Dentistry on Sheppard
Blog & Articles
April 27, 2022 / DENTISTRY
Lichen Planus is a common auto-immune, inflammatory condition most notably of the mucous membranes inside your mouth. Lichen Planus affects approximately 1% of the population (most commonly middle-aged females) and usually appears as white or red striated areas or erosive sores.
Often Lichen Planus (L.P.) is asymptomatic but more severe cases can cause burning, pain, or other discomfort. Severe cases of L.P. can also increase the risk for oral cancer.
Since L.P. is a chronic life-long condition, for which there is no cure, a palliative approach is taken. Numbing agents and corticosteroids are common treatments. Corticosteroids are usually given topically as mouthwashes, ointments or gels applied directly to the affected mucosa. Corticosteroids are not particularly effective and have some side effects.
Aloe Vera offers a natural alternative to corticosteroids. Aloe Vera (A.V.) contains healthy plant compounds like vitamins and amino acids, has powerful antioxidants from the polyphenol family and accelerates wound healing (which is why it is used as a skin protectant and topical treatment for first- and second-degree bums).
However, A.V. is a liver and thyroid toxin and should never be ingested. We recommend A.V. be used as a gel and any excess expectorated.
Aloe Vera gel when applied to Lichen Planus has been shown to be a superior treatment to steroid ointment. A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trail of 54 patients showed no serious side effects and a good response to A.V. in 80% of patients while only 4% of placebo patients had a good response. A.V. Gel can be considered a natural, effective treatment for L.P.
- Oral Cancer Awareness: Safeguarding Your Smile and Health
- Dental Care during Pregnancy: What Expectant Mothers Need to Know
- The Connection Between Oral Health and Overall Well-being: A Holistic Approach to Dental Care
- Smile Secrets: Tips for Maintaining Healthy Teeth and Gums
- Debunking Common Myths About Oral Health and Dental Care
- Dental Implants Or Dentures?
- How Smiling Affects Overall Health
- The Correlation Between Dental & Heart Health
- Everything You Need to Know About Ozone Therapy
- How to Stop Tooth Decay and Prevent Cavities
- Everything You Need to Know About Halitosis
- Can I Have My Amalgam Dental Fillings Removed?
- Gum Disease (Periodontal Disease) and Stress
- New Dental Ideas - Fads, TikTok Ideas
- Aloe Vera
- Glucosamine and The Temporomandibular Joint
- Should I Have My Mercury Fillings Removed?
- Prebiotics and the Oral Microbiome
- 5 Steps to Good Oral Health
- What’s Involved at A Dental Check-Up
- Nutrition, Teeth, and Good Health
- Apthous Ulcers (Canker Sores)
- Remineralization of Teeth
- Tongue Scraping
- Fluoride Exposure In Utero Linked To Lower IQ In Kids, Study Says
- The Link Between Sugar and Depression