Dentistry on Sheppard
Blog & Articles
Glucosamine and The Temporomandibular Joint
January 24, 2022 / DENTISTRY
The temporo-mandibular joint (TMJ) is located in front of each ear, it opens and closes the jaw. The TMJ is the most complicated joint in the body since it provides both a rotary and a sliding movement. About 10% of the population suffers from temporomandibular dysfunction, pain in the jaw joint or facial muscles that control the jaw.
Glucosamine is often touted by natural healthcare practitioners to help alleviated joint arthritis. A new study comparing 1500mg of glucosamine daily to 1200mg of Ibuprofen daily for alleviating temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis symptoms shows promise. A 90 day treatment course of each showed positive outcomes (at least 20% decrease in TMJ pain and function) in 71 % of glucosamine patients and 61 % of Ibuprofen patients. As well glucosamine had a carryover benefit for several weeks not seen with Ibuprofen. This promising result means glucosamine, derived usually from shellfish, can often be helpful for TMJ symptoms without the deleterious side effects of NSAID (stomach ulcers, indigestion, increased bleeding times, headaches etc.).
Glucosamine is metabolized down to macromolecules, such as hyaluronic acid, which help in the growth and development of joint cartilage and bone. Glucosamine stimulates the growth of new cells and tissues and also reduces inflammation.
Generally glucosamine does not interfere with prescription medications and may be a good natural alternative to Ibuprofen for TMJ pain.
- Oral Cancer Awareness: Safeguarding Your Smile and Health
- Dental Care during Pregnancy: What Expectant Mothers Need to Know
- The Connection Between Oral Health and Overall Well-being: A Holistic Approach to Dental Care
- Smile Secrets: Tips for Maintaining Healthy Teeth and Gums
- Debunking Common Myths About Oral Health and Dental Care
- Dental Implants Or Dentures?
- How Smiling Affects Overall Health
- The Correlation Between Dental & Heart Health
- Everything You Need to Know About Ozone Therapy
- How to Stop Tooth Decay and Prevent Cavities
- Everything You Need to Know About Halitosis
- Can I Have My Amalgam Dental Fillings Removed?
- Gum Disease (Periodontal Disease) and Stress
- New Dental Ideas - Fads, TikTok Ideas
- Aloe Vera
- Glucosamine and The Temporomandibular Joint
- Should I Have My Mercury Fillings Removed?
- Prebiotics and the Oral Microbiome
- 5 Steps to Good Oral Health
- What’s Involved at A Dental Check-Up
- Nutrition, Teeth, and Good Health
- Apthous Ulcers (Canker Sores)
- Remineralization of Teeth
- Tongue Scraping
- Fluoride Exposure In Utero Linked To Lower IQ In Kids, Study Says
- The Link Between Sugar and Depression