Dentistry on Sheppard
Blog & Articles
New Dental Ideas - Fads, TikTok Ideas
July 4, 2022 / DENTISTRY
In recent times more and more individuals from outside the dental field are bringing forth oral health suggestions. While I am a believer in free speech and open dialogue sometimes there is only a small amount of knowledge, expertise and thought behind these recommendations. So I decided to provide some of my thoughts on these trends.
Charcoal seems to be all the rage – whether in paint or in healthcare. Charcoal in toothpaste is potentially damaging due to its abrasive nature. Brushing twice daily with abrasive products irreversibly wears away enamel leading to yellower (not whiter!) and more sensitive teeth. Charcoal in purported to be anti-fungal and anti-bacterial but this has never been scientifically demonstrated. Charcoal toothpaste may also contain very small damaging crystalline silica particles which may irritate your gums.
Not Rinsing your Mouth After Brushing
Most people brush for two minutes, spit then rinse. Some are now suggesting not rinsing in order to leave the toothpaste components on your teeth. Toothpaste that contains fluoride would mean fluoride is continually being swallowed all night – a negative in my view. Fluoride and other components of toothpaste can cause gastrointestinal nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Fluoride is not considered essential to life.
Several recently released TikTok videos show young adults filing their own teeth. This trend by amateurs irreversibly removes enamel which can potentially lead to tooth fracture and sensitivity. Similarly, but even more damaging, filing ones own teeth to cover them with veneers is almost certainly going to lead to large problems.
Another trending idea is using homemade rubber bands and wires to correct malaligned teeth. Often these self taught orthodontists don't achieve much tooth movement (best case) and do it yourself braces can lead to innumerable problems (including bite abnormalities, nerve problems and enamel damage all possibly leading to tooth loss.)
- How Smiling Affects Overall Health
- The Correlation Between Dental & Heart Health
- Everything You Need to Know About Ozone Therapy
- How to Stop Tooth Decay and Prevent Cavities
- Everything You Need to Know About Halitosis
- Can I Have My Amalgam Dental Fillings Removed?
- Gum Disease (Periodontal Disease) and Stress
- New Dental Ideas - Fads, TikTok Ideas
- Aloe Vera
- Glucosamine and The Temporomandibular Joint
- Should I Have My Mercury Fillings Removed?
- Prebiotics and the Oral Microbiome
- 5 Steps to Good Oral Health
- What’s Involved at A Dental Check-Up
- Nutrition, Teeth, and Good Health
- Apthous Ulcers (Canker Sores)
- Remineralization of Teeth
- Tongue Scraping
- Fluoride Exposure In Utero Linked To Lower IQ In Kids, Study Says
- The Link Between Sugar and Depression